Monday, May 30, 2005

25 most-asked stitching questions

I saw these on Karen's blog (Karen Cogitations, see the link on the left)so Ithought I'd answer them myself.

1. How old were you when you started cross stitching?

Well I was fairly young as I started at school. However, I didn't start to do it seriously as a hobby until 1994 when I was 20.

2. Who taught you to cross stitch?

I guess my primary school teacher. When I took it up again, I just knew how to do it!

3. What inspired you to begin cross stitching?

My mum joined a book club and you could get kits cheap with the starting offer, so I got two. I guess I liked it.

4. What has been your most difficult cross stitch piece?

Hmmm, I guess it would be a TW piece, maybe Unicorn, as it was stitched on black 14ct Aida and had loads of fractionals. It wouldn't be so difficult now.

5. Do you have friends that stitch?

Well, my mum does! Also I have met many stitchers online, and I would consider a lot of them as friends now as I have met them IRL too. I have GTG's with two local girls which I always look forward to and enjoy.

6. What is your favourite stitched piece?

I love my Dimensions Row of Love(c) but recently I have completed Eva Rosenstand's Three Rabbits and I love that too.

7. What is your favorite fabric?

32ct lugana...esp Sugar Maple Hand dyed!

8. What is your favorite fiber?

I like Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid.

9. What is your favorite needle? Piecemakers 28s; I was introduced to these last year and now I won't use anything else. (Exact same answer as Karen!)

10. Do you prefer black & white or colored charts? Black and white, definately.

11. How many Works In Progress do you have at this time?

I have about 12, but actively only have three.

12. How many UFOs do you have at this time?

None.

13. How many cross stitch charts/kits/mags do you own?

Hmm not sure, I have recently counted and catalogued my charts, but can't remember how many I have. It's over 60 anyway. I have maybe 50+ mags and 25+ kits.

14. How much fabric do you have in stock at this time?

Hmmm approx 70+ pieces, 95% hand dyed in various sizes, counts and fabric types.

15. Where is your favorite place to stitch?

In the garden when the weather's good enough. Other than that I like to stitch in the kitchen where the comp, tv and rabbit are!

16. What is your favorite time of day to stitch?

I don't have one. I'm a shift worker so anytime goes.

17. How many pieces have you stitched in your lifetime?

Can't remember, check my webshots for a look at some of the stuff I've done. I'd estimate that there are 20 smaller pieces missing from there.

18. Do you give your stitched pieces away?

Yup, all the time. In fact I've probably stitched as many gifts as I have pieces for myself.

19. How many different fibers do you have in stock at this time?

I have a whole load of Six Strand Sweets, Some Dinky Dyes, Carons, Olde WIllow, SMF, Stef Francis, DMC, Anchor, Vikki Clayton, and some other silks and cottons that I can't remember.

20. How many pairs of scissors do you own?

I have about 5 pairs, no well known brand, nothing special, three are from IKEA!

21. Do you use stitching enhancers (lights, scroll frames...etc)?

Nope.

22. How many pieces that have been stitched but not yet framed or finished off in some other way do you have at this time?

Three.

23. Do you have a craft/stitching room?

No not yet, but if I move house I will do.

24. Why do you stitch?

To keep me sane and patient. To prevent my brain from worrying about anything it could possibly worry about...which is a lot.

25. What is your most memorable time related to cross stitching?

Probably a GTG I attended in Fleet, Hampshire. I wore my PJ's and some bunny slippers. Hard to forget that really!