Sunday, March 13, 2011

E is for Escher....
I have finished my E socks, the fifth part of the UK Sock Knitters A-Z-a-long on Ravelry. When I started this challenge, I thought that I might knit a few pairs of the socks along the way...I didn't think that I'd manage to do the whole challenge of 26 pairs in the year.
So...I am rather pleased with my self and my little 2.25mm Knit Pro Symphonie circular needles for 'turning out' 5 pairs of socks by 13th March!


Without further ado, I present Escher Socks.



The pattern comes from Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn and it is one of my favourite sock books. I think it is a really interesting read and I love the section where it explains how yarns pool and how you can change the way they do in fact pool. 

I already had the book when I purchased the yarn. It was a sock club yarn, a cashmere/merino/nylon mix by the Knitting Goddess in the colourway Speckled Egg. 
The socks only took 62g of yarn and they were a quite simple knit, however, I do have to admit that I began to suffer from a bit of boredom on the foot of the second sock. It seemed to take forever!

I've also been busy this month with knitting my 3rd shawl for the knit 11 shawls in 2011 challenge.
The yarn is yet another Knitting Goddess sock club yarn, this time merino/nylon in the Goddess Ops colourway. 
Ops is a fertility goddess and is very much linked to all things 'earthy' so I wanted that to reflect in the choice of  pattern. I therefore used a lace pattern from a shawl called Wheatsheaf Shawl from Issue 28 of the knitting magazine called Yarn Forward. It is a KAL media publication, but has recently changed it's name to Knit. 

This shawl unfortunately, is not staying with me. It is being gifted to my mum's cousin's wife as a present from my mum. I told her that I had yarn to use up and wanted to knit some shawls but that as I also had over 10 of my own, maybe I could do with knitting some up to give away. It's somewhat typical then, that the one I knit first, I actually want to keep! lol

I love the colours and am happy with how this worked out. 


My next installment of the mystery blanket has arrived so from the 15th onwards I'll be knitting on the next 5 squares. I'm still plugging away at a cushion cover for my mum for mother's day and I am really enjoying it. I am­ ¾ of the way up the front.
 I've also just cast on my 'F' socks, so once again this rabbit's needles are going to be smoking.
I hope all is well out there in blogland and send out my thoughts and wishes to anyone who has been affected by the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan....
Until next time, take care and please feel free to Rabbit On.....