Thursday, January 20, 2011

An Alphabet of a Different Kind....
Over on Ravelry, there is a forum for UK sock knitters, although none UK members are on there too. Someone came up with the ingenious idea of a Knit-A-Long whereby for every letter of the alphabet, you knit a pair of socks.
The way it works is that you pick a pattern that corresponds with a letter of the alphabet and you have a two week period to cast it on. The only finishing date is January 14th 2012!


25 Cushions to Knit: Packed with Patterns for Cushions of Every Size to Suit Every Room in Your HomeSo, I have decided to join it, in a moment of madness...madness as I have also decided that I am going to use the skein of sock yarn that I get each month and it might not necessarily be on a pair of socks if I don't think it will go with the pattern I've chosen for the relevant letter of the alphabet....madness because I also want to join in with the knit 11 shawls in 2011 challenge...and madness as I have already decided that I want to knit 5 cushions from Debbie Abrahams 25 Cushions to Knit book this year as well as knitting a couple of garments by Kim Hargreaves
Oh....and I am also knitting a mystery blanket and want to do some stitching.....


Here is my sock for A....Anastasia. 
They are knit using the Knitting Goddess Blue Faced Leicester in Winter Sun and I rather love them! 
They are knitted from the toe up and have a short row toe and heel. They are available as a download on Ravelry but if you aren't a member of Rav and would like to knit them anyway...they are also available here.
I am now knitting a pair of fingerless mitts with the leftovers as that's also something else I've challenged myself to do this year...knit up all my left overs where possible. 


Another finish for this month is a shawl I knit my MIL for her birthday. 
It is knit using my Jan 2011 sock club yarn from the Knitting Goddess and is a merino/bamboo mix which I adore....it could be my favourite sock yarn base actually. 

The pattern is Nancy and Judy and can be seen here.  


Well, that's it for another week...feel free to Rabbit On...