Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's a mystery...oh it's a mystery...
No I haven't dropped back into the 80's and turned into Toyah! It's all about one of my latest knitting projects. Last year I joined up to the Debbie Abraham's Mystery Blanket club.  Debbie is a rather lovely lady, I've met her a couple of times, and she is also very talented when it comes to designing all things 'blankety'.

You do not know the colours used or the theme when you join, but the yarn you get is all Rowan yarns so good quality. Then each month, you wait to stalk the postie and when he does arrive with your monthly package, you snatch it off him like a giddy child and ooh and ahh when you open it and see the patterns for the 5 squares that you have to knit during that month. If you have no self control, you cast one on immediately, however, you can wait as you have all month to knit the 5 squares given. Last years blanket had a theme of Beneath the Sea as you can see from the pic to the right. The squares are sent out in such a manner that it isn't totally obvious what the blanket will look like until you are about halfway through, which really keeps the enthusiasm going.
Last years involved a lot of Intarsia which I'm not so brilliant with, a lot of textured cables, beadwork, sequins and slipped stitch striped patterns.
I wasn't overly keen to begin with but as it progressed and I could mattress stitch some of the squares together, I started to love it and it now sits proudly on the spare bed in the back bedroom who's door we keep open and I can peek at it every time I go upstairs!

So that's last year's done.....and yes, I have joined up to this year's too. It is totally different both in colour and yarns used. Last years was mainly Rowan Wool Cotton, Pure Wook DK and Luxury Cotton Silk. This year's is so far mainly Rowan Cotton Glace and a new to me yarn, Rowan Purelife Revive which I have to say I adore.
This year, the blanket is also very heavily beaded so I expect it to weigh a ton when finished. The good thing about this one tho, is that the colours will match very well with either my living room or my bedroom.
You can see a sneaky preview of the first 4 completed squares below.


Click on the pic to make it bigger.
Well folks, that's it for this week's update....I have to finish my B socks so that I can cast on my C socks as I am a few days behind schedule due to working extra hours at work last week...one sock done, one done halfway up the foot.
Have a great week everyone and as ever feel free to Rabbit On....